Catherine Carter Acupuncture
Acupuncturist and Naturopath in Bristol
Why I collect your personal data and what I do with it
When you supply your personal details to me, they are stored and processed for 4 reasons: Note: the parts in bold are the relevant terms used in the General Data Protection Regulation – i.e. the law:
1. I need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and my agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that, I would not be able to provide treatment. It is also a requirement of my association, the Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ATCM) to collect this information, alongside a register of all appointments attended by you.
2. I have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information, because without it I couldn’t do my job effectively and safely.
3. I also think that it is important that I can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with me or to update you on matters related to your medical care. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
4. Provided I have your consent, I may occasionally send you general health information in the form of appointment follow-up advice or articles.
I have a legal obligation to retain your records for 7 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period you can ask me to destroy your records if you wish. Otherwise, I will retain your records indefinitely so that I can provide you with the best possible care should you need to see me again in the future.
Your records are stored:
• On paper, in a locked filing cabinet, in an apartment that is locked at all times.
• Your email address is saved in my email account address book (email@example.com) which is password protected. My laptop is password-protected, backed up regularly, and stored in an apartment that is locked at all times.
I am the only person who has access to your data and I will never share your information with anyone, even being in my care as a client is confidential. In the rare case that sharing your information is essential for the sake of your health, I will discuss this with you in detail beforehand and ask for your consent separately.
You have the right to see what personal data of yours I hold, and you can also ask me to correct any factual errors. Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask me to destroy your records.
I want you to be absolutely confident that I am treating your personal data responsibly, and that I am doing everything I can to make sure that your information is only accessible to me.
Of course, if you feel that I am mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to what is referred to in the jargon as the “Data Controller”. Here are the details you need for that:
Name: Catherine Carter
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: 07848 836226
Clinic address: The Treatment Rooms, 14 Park Row, Bristol, BS1 5LJ
If you are not satisfied with my response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.